Friday, July 6, 2018

On Mangoes and Mosquitoes


On Mangoes and Mosquitoes

Mangoes have gone but mosquitoes are in. This year the market was full of a variety of the king of fruits. But the quality was not up to the mark. Price varied from Rs 30 to about 150 per kg. I tried many varieties, not very satisfied, though.

Mosquitoes have arrived. I don’t like mosquitoes but they like me. I have lamented earlier at length about repellants, coils, skin creams, patches, incense sticks, liquid dispensers, mats and what not. Of all the anti-mosquito items I found citronella agarbattis best. Each stick lasts for about 15-20 minutes but you can see these insects coming in swarms and dying like rain. It is effective if you use it in early hours of invasion. Even plain camphor pills kept on electric mats is fine. Plus you get pleasant aroma. A  two percent mixture of camphor in coconut oil serves as pain reliever and mosquito repellant.

There is a strong myth in Kenya and other countries that mangoes and mosquitoes are related. That if you eat mangoes mosquitoes will be attracted and their byte will lead to malaria. This is not true. I have seen flies coming out mango but not mosquito.

Body odor, sweat, body movement, body heat are all invitations to mosquito: they will come dancing from far off distances. Carbon dioxide is a good attractant; place a source of carbon dioxide in a place where you want these pests go to.  Placing clover stuck in lemon in corners of the room is a home remedy.

I thought a poet is no poet if he has not written about moon. It appears to be true in the case of ubiquitous mosquito too. https://www.poetrysoup.com/poems/mosquito gives several hundreds of poems.  From the poems I gather that while in India we face mosquito menace during rainy season, westerners seem to suffer in summer. Just a sample before I leave, a short one from Char Ron Smith:


I've been single too long
Obviously
That a mosquito is the only female
that wants to take a bite of me


========================




1 comment:

  1. Haiku I wrote some years ago:

    Stagnant water stinks
    Mosquitoes announce their arrival
    by ringing and stinging

    ReplyDelete