Friday, February 18, 2022

On Procrastination - Self Analysis

                            On Procrastination – Self Analysis

 Dennis Upper has written an article titled: The unsuccessful self-treatment of a case of “writer’s block” in the Journal of Applied behavior Analysis Vol 7 Issue 3 Fall 1974 p 497. The link for the same is: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1311997/?page=1

 If you go to the web site you will see something funny and strange. It is just one page with no content showing that the author’s tendency to procrastinate has sort of forced him leave just one blank page as the entire article. Read the peer review – it is even funnier. This paper has been cited five times in reputed journals as well.

 It was brought to my notice by Justice TNC Rangarajan, my friend,  Both of us share the same weakness – procrastination!  I replied to him thanking him for the article alert like this and see the responses!

 

Initially I deferred opening the link and reading the paper proper, wanting to do justice to the subject line. The ingenuity involved in innovative expression of procrastination is undoubtedly excellent.  Reviewer's comments are hilarious. I can imagine how you landed on this article - trying to find a solution for perennial, perpetual procrastination that plaguing you (and me) forever! I cannot get rid of the veil sense of guilt always at the back of my mind!

“We are on the same blank page”, he said

I added: I think that Dennis Upper has gained a lot of experience in submitting blank paper during exams!

 My Gmail page has unfinished drafts folder. Here lie messages without To: field unfilled: a simple trick prevent sending away the email by mistake. Similarly, my hard disk has a folder for stories that I publish in my blogs and elsewhere. There is a sub-folder called unfinished. Contents here are an indication of half-hearted attempts to dish out essays but given up midway. One main reason for unsuccessful stories is, you guessed correctly, PROCRASTINATION!

 When I find a perfect solution to my problem, I will let you know. For now, let me love and live with it.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment