Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Fwd: How or what am I called?


What or How am I called?

 

Many of us are known by different names in different places. My formal official name is Padmanabha Vyasamoorthy. Padmanabha mans "I am a son of Padmanabhan". We do not have any concept of surnames in our community. Many split my name into two parts Vyasa and Moorthy and address me as Mr Moorthy. I have short forms of my name viz: vyasa and vyasi. The former is used among formal circles and the latter among close relatives / friends. In official spheres and social circles, I am abbreviated to PVM.

 

Coming to the actual rendering / spelling of my name lends itself to several distorted versions.  My friends choose any combination of the following three parts! By permutation and combination, I am told we will get 48 spellings!

 

Vyasa,

vyasa,

vysya,

vyshya,

veshya,

Viyasa

Moor

mur

Thy,

thi,

ti,

ty

 

Those who know my profession, especially foreigners, address me as Dear Madam, changing even my gender!

 

After all, as Shakespeare seems to have said: "What's in a name? A Rose by any other name would smell as sweet."  Therefore, I do not mind anyone calling me by any name as long as they do not call me names.

 

 

 

Dr P Vyasamoorthy / 9490804278

No comments:

Post a Comment