Monday, November 7, 2022

Polyglot - Knowing many Languages

Polyglot - Knowing many Languages

 

If you know many languages you are at an advantage over others. I have written about polyglots earlier. I want to reproduce the last para from there before I proceed further:

 

I know Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and English. French and German – I have forgotten as quickly as I learnt them; I have retained just enough skill to ascertain the language of an article and perhaps translate the title.  Sanskrit was my second language in School. I cannot avoid exposure to Hindi as Modi's government is imposing it on everyone in devious ways.

 

Info given above may be presented as a table for easy comprehension / comparison.

 

Language

Read

Write

Speak

Understand

If spoken

Remark

Tamil

Y

Y

Y

Y

Studied

Telugu

N

N

Y

Y

Local

influence

Kannada

N

N

Y

Y

Mother tongue

English

Y

Y

Y

Y

Studied

French

Y

N

N

N

Sufficient to translate titles / headers

German

Y

N

N

Y somewhat

Ditto.

Studied

Malayalam

N

N

N

Y

 

Sanskrit

Y

Y

N

Y partially

Studied

Hindi

Y

Y

N

Y

Studied

Sign Language

 

 

 

Y

 

 

It is the last row that brings me on par with dogs and certain other animals. We have a few street dogs that take shelter in our terrace. My daughter and I 'speak' to the dogs in Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Hindi etc depending upon our moods. They understand all our languages well but behave as if they are deaf, especially when we want them to go out! Even human beings may benefit If they pretend to be deaf and do not respond, on certain occasions!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment