Saturday, December 15, 2018

My Birthday that went by

Responding to Birthday  Greetings 

14-12-2018

 

I am 77. One's birthday is dear to the person concerned and to his friends and family members. Some celebrate it with great pomp and show while others go about it in simple ways. The latter might involve just going to temple or doing special Puja and perhaps enjoy a festive lunch or dinner. AS you grow older and older, among senior citizens, birthdays are gone through with mixed feelings. On one hand you are nearing the grave and have limited time to live and enjoy and on the other hand you get a feeling: only little more to suffer, much of it is over. I used to maintain a list of birthdays of friends who worked in IDL and send birthday greeting notes via company's internal mail. On one such occasion, one senior officer phone up and told me bluntly: Don't send me BDG and remind that I am nearing retirement! This year's birthday was destined to be festive, for I attended Sri VK Narasimhan's grand daughter's wedding.

 

Many friends may wished me on your birthday via SMS, WhatsApp, Email, Phone, FaceBook or other web portals. There were some commercial calls also. Yesterday, I got a call from a stranger saying she is the secretary of an old age home and asked if I would like to donate some money. I generally get a good number of birthday greeting messages through many platforms. Keeping track of all of them and acknowledging everyone is a task in itself. I usually send a consolidated thank  you note mentioning all persons who greeted me. If I miss out someone he/she feels bad.

 

My memory does not cooperate well these days. I have a friend – Mr TSK Raman. He and I share the same day as birthday. Invariably he phones me early in the morning on my birthday and wishes me. When I thank him he gently reminds me that we share the same birthday. I quickly reciprocate, somewhat with indescribable feeling of guilt. He knows a friend who was born on the same day in the same nursing home where he was born. They greet each other as well.  He has told about this incident also. I too recollect it whenever he greets me on my birthday. I cannot find any answer to questions like: why I don't remember and greet him on my own first? Am I uninterested in people? Am I self centered? Am I the one who does not bother about one's birthday and all my replies are plain courtesy-oriented? Is it a matter of simple forgetfulness?


To such an uncaring perhaps seemingly unloving person, so many people offering birthday greetings is intriguing. As I have always said: I am a 'given-and-kept' (koduthu vachavan' in Tamil) (simply lucky person) and I believe that 'poorva karma' in paying off.   I list of people who greeted as far as I can recall is given below.  Thanks a million to everyone, indeed everyone, who greeted and wished me and blessed me.

 

 

Smt Indira Narayan

Sri Vijay Chandra

Samarth

Sri Raghuraman

Sri TSK Raman

Sri K Krishna Rao

SBI

Sri S Sathyamoorthy

Sri KV Subba Rao

Sri RV Rao

Smt Neela J

Sri VK Rao

Sri P Ramachandran

Sri BN Acharya

Smt Sobha

Justice Rangarajan

Prof V Ramamurthy

Sri A Suryanarayana

Sri Linga Reddy

Smt Kamala Rangaraja

Ms Sheetal

Sri SV Chalapati

Sri IM Bhalla

Smt Vaijayanti

Ms Shweta

Dr Dak

Sri CS Gopalakrihna

Smt Aparajita Suman

Smt Bhagya

Sri V Ram Prabhakar

Smt Dyga Bhagwan

Sri NS Parasuraman

Smt Sarojini

Sri Malleshwar Rao

Sri BA Setty

Sri CS Rao

Smt Srivalli

Sri C Shankar Rao

Sri Sailesh

Sri Laxminarayan K

Sri Bagade

Dr Sundaram

Ramu

Sri Sailesh Mishra

Sri Venkatramulu

Sri Satish, Vasavi

Smt Indu

Sri Anant Waghe

Dr SR  Prahlad

Sri SV Ramana

Prof V Seshadri

Sri RK Savaram

Dr KR Gangadharan

Sri Prabhakar Chalsani

Sri V Desikamani

Smt Nitya

Sri PK Divakaran

Sri PV Satyavratan

Sri Y Markandeyulu

Dr Thomas

Sri Somasekharan

Smt Prema Anand

Sri Kochchaar

32+ in FB

 


No comments:

Post a Comment