Saturday, January 15, 2022

Enchanting Sankaranti Rangoli

              Enchanting Sankaranti Rangoli


During my evening walk today – Sankaranti - I entertained myself by observing several beautiful Rangoli work in front of houses.  I found that rich and upper middle-class areas offered very little to brag about. It was in Basti and village (Kakaguda) areas that gave plentiful to watch and wonder.

 The Rangoli work displayed full range of rainbow of colours. Elements related to the festival like: kites, basavanna and his cow, flowers, sugar cane, beautiful ladies in arresting dresses, dancing girls, pots overflowing with milk, slogans & greetings, peacocks and others were all there. I remember that no one had tried to depict the Sun, so closely connected with harvest. The creativity displayed is something to seen and not described on paper.

 On the streets, if vertical demarcations are seen, that indicates that there was a Rangoli competition in that basti. Narrower the streets had more to offer! Some were jealous of protecting their work of art by placing small and big stones! I wish I had taken my mobile to capture some of the wondrous offerings. Last year when I did click some photos, some young boys crowded around me asking if I am a journalist writing a story for some magazine – if so, they might demand some payment!

 Whenever I came across “more-than-ordinary” Rangoli, I took a few moments more to stand, stare, assess and admire. The happiness of people around can not be expressed. Several shades of culture and traditional skills of our country, sort of flows over to streets, so to say. I came home satiated at heart, thought and soul.

                                                   ==========


No comments:

Post a Comment