Sunday, December 13, 2020

Multiple Email Ids of same person

 

Multiple Email Ids of same person


Many of my contacts have more than one Email Id from service providers like Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail etc. When I initiate a message for such persons I am in a dilemma as which one to choose. Gmail suggests all addresses to choose! When the message is important, I mark it to more than one ID to ensure receipt / response.  Replying to an email from multiple IDs is no issue, as REPLY button always helps you.

 Searching email from a person with multiple email ids is cumbersome. You can not guess from which address you got it. Further searching mail is made difficult by users changing the subject line often. But, sticking to same subject line increases the thread length so much that searching within the thread is difficult. Moreover, users do not stick to the discipline of deleting unwanted parts in ‘replied-to’ messages and length of each post keeps increasing like Hanuman’s tail!

 Labels are a good way to manage searching. However, when I looked into my labels, I found I had allotted / created labels indiscriminately, more than half of which I can not now guess what they mean!

 Why do people have multiple Email addresses? What are the different purposes they are put to use? Do they see all incoming mail, though sent to different IDs, in one consolidated inbox? How do they ensure that they are spammed, the messages are not duplicated, their messages go without action required to be taken?

 I too have three or four Email IDs. Two only are used – one primary the other one for ‘recovery’ of forgotten / lost password etc.  While writing this story I discovered a few that I never used after creation and I do not know how to delete those accounts!

 There are many sites that insist on registering yourself with your email id. Usually, such sites land you in furtherance of spam or misuse of your mail id. Hence, I use disposable email Ids. I can conveniently forget about them after exploring the site for whatever is worth.

 What are your suggestions for alleviating these problems?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment