Sunday, July 23, 2023

Counting Steps or progress

 Counting steps or progress


Often you need to count the progress of some activities like meditation, walking, chanting mantras, cooking etc. For instance, I need to chant some mantra 21 times, walk about 3 km on my terrace, wait for 6 to 9 whistles on the cooker and take to similar counting in other activities as well.

 In the case of walking, if I assume that one step is 1.5 feet, I need to count 3250 steps to cover 3 KM distance. It is easy to count the steps in units of say 100 steps.  If I walk in my terrace, the floor has lines marked on the ground in squares of 2‘X2’. I can count how many ups and downs on each vertical or horizontal line, to calculate the total distance I have covered.

 If you have Google Fit or similar App on your mobile phone you can easily measure how much you are walking. Google maps also tells you the distances if you are moving in a vehicle. But these are approximate and not accurate. The results vary from person to person. Try this with your friend walking along with you, using each other’s mobiles – you will be surprised!

 When you want to count say 200 steps, count the first hundred from to 1 to 100 and the next 100 from 100 down to 1. When you are counting in the reverse your memory and concentration increases!

 Do you use counting beads while meditation? Why do you have 108 Rudraksha beads in such a counting device?  Any clues?

 Some random thoughts to generate random ideas. What idea struck you and how did it impact you?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment