- Buy Rice from supermarkets that sell pre-cleaned rice
- When you are idle watching TV or listening to music, clean a lot of rice and stock separately to save time.
- Same techniques mentioned above may be applied to Rava (semolina), Maida pulses and cereals etc also.
Monday, August 3, 2015
How to clean Ration Rice
How to Clean Ration Rice
I mention “Ration” Rice only to indicate rice with lot of – dust, mud / clay particles, small tiny stones, worms, beetles, husk etc. Nowadays Supermarkets in big cities offer cleaned rice and other materials. There is no need to further work upon them. Such stuff in polythene packets may be right away used for cooking. But rice procured from farmers sold via small shops are often full of dirt and other inedible matter and requires cleaning.
Process for clarification / cleaning of rice involves few steps, as outlined below:
1. Pour the rice onto a large metal, say Aluminum plate.
2. Select and separate out a small portion – say one or two spoonfuls – apart.
3. Spread such a separated part sparsely.
4. Small insects like beetles, ants and particles like stones, mud or clay pieces appear clearly. Pick up each one and throw it off
1. Worms require special handling. They are tiny and difficult to hold between thumb and index finger. Wet the tip of your index finger using a wet sponge. Lightly touch the worm. It will stick to your finger. Then twirl it off forcibly. If the batch of rice that you procured is infested then there might be clumps of rice hiding worms in a bunch. These clusters have to be removed physically only.
2. Dust, fiber and husk can be removed by winnowing. Winnowing requires practice and skill. But it can be developed easily. Observe how a housemaid does it – the angle, the force, the distance rice is allowed to be thrown up, how lighter particles fly off the winnow etc.
3. Certain floating particles of contamination can be removed while cleaning the rice with water before cooking. Light contaminated particles will float and can be easily decanted off.