Saturday, July 2, 2016
Police help in various states for the Elderly
Police Help to Elders
By Dr P Vyasamoorthy
Police Activities for Elders, city wise, are described below
Delhi Police: Offers comprehensive protection services to senior citizens. Online registration, Dos and Donts, Domestic help verification, regular visits, and priority filing of cases and follow up are part of this department. HelpAge, Anugruha, AgeWell, Chinmaya Vanaprastha Sansthan, NISD are collaborators. http://www.delhipolice.nic.in/seniorcitizen/index.html The Departments website is one of the most up-to-date sites. Several positive reports in the media have appeared in the press.
In Tamilnadu many newspaper reports suggest that the senior police officers go out of the way, beyond the call of their duty in supporting senior citizens. In the case of Elder Abuse they use their power to help out older persons in distress. For example the police helpline in Coimbatore was a great hit within weeks of setting up.
In Nagpur, police helpline provides for registration, regular fortnightly visits, night beats, immediate action on complaints etc.
In Hyderabad a police helpline was announced in collaboration with Heritage Hospital some years back but nothing has come out of it. However, the GHMC helpline run by HelpAge 1253 has earned very good reputation for excellent service. Securing accommodation in old age homes for the deserted older persons, Issue of ID Cards (54000 cards) useful in many places, counseling, handling elder abuse cases, collaborating with Health /medical help lines like 108 / 104 etc are their noteworthy activities
Nightingales Helplines in Bangalore are perhaps the best in the country as many cities would like to replicate it as a role model.
HelpAge India, largest NGO exclusively devoted to senior citizens runs a number of Helplines in major cities including:
· Mumbai : Ngo Helpline 1298 Police: 1090
· Bangalore- STD Code – 080
· Nightingales and the Bangalore city Police – 1090 / 22943226
· Chennai- STD Code -044
· Police Senior Citizens Helpline – 1253
· Delhi- STD Code -011
· Police Senior Citizens Helpline -1291
· Kolkatta – STD Code -033
· Dignity Foundation's help line for Senior citizens – 24741314
· Police Senior citizens Helpline - 09830088884
· Hyderabad –STD Code – 040
· Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation – Aasara- Toll Free No – 1253**
· Ahmadabad Senior Citizens Police Helpline – 18002336600
· Chandigarh Senior Citizens police Helpline 1090 / 9888988847
· Indore Senior Citizens Police Helpline 0731 -251 0308/2522111
· Gulbaraga helpline 1090
· Mangalore Helpline 1090
· Coimbatore 1253
· Pune Senior Citizen Police Helpline 1091
· Nagpur Police Senior Citizens Helpline 0712 – 2564333